Nipah virus is a newly emerging zoonosis that causes severe complications in both humans and animals alike.
These are the 5 unknown facts of Nipah Virus:
- Nipah virus will cause a rare brain fever that spreads from fruit bats to livestock as well as humans.
- High fever, terrible headache and breathing trouble are some of the known symptoms of Nipah virus, which has a high fatality rate.
- It could potentially be a huge health scare this year 2018 as per WHO list of viruses. There is no vaccination available for Nipah virus as of now.
- The virus was first identified among pigs in Kampung Sungai Nipah, Malaysia in 1998
- Last known outbreak in the subcontinent was in 2004 in Bangladesh.