Dr. Kalyan Bommakanti
MBBS (Osmania Medical College), MCh (Neurosurgery, NIMS)
Trained at fully endoscopic transforaminal surgery (Sushrutha Institute of Orthopaedics and Traumatology)
Dr Kalyan Bommakanti is a renowned neurosurgeon. He has more than 10 years of experience as Faculty and Consultant for neuro sciences. He, graduated from Osmania Medical College, the premier Medical College for the state of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. He got through EAMCET with a top rank in order to enroll at Osmania which is by far the most competitive and highly reputed Medical College in the state of Telangana that strives for clinical excellence each year. He was chosen as the best outgoing student in Microbiology and was also very active at organizing events such as College day, Sports day and Youth fests which furthered my faith in a team effort. Osmania general Hospital is the largest hospital in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana that caters to the poor. He developed a keen sense of responsibility and compassion while treating the poor at Osmania.
Neurosurgery is an advanced and highly competitive field of study and offers limited seats. It is usually a 3 year course upon completion of a 3 year course of general surgery. Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences and a few others like the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and NIMHANS (National Institute of Mental Health and Neurological Sciences) offers a 5 or 6 year Neurosurgery program. NIMS has only 2 seats in the 5 year/6 year program available each year for the entire state of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
He has post graduated and super specialized at Nizam’s after being the top rank holder in the entire state in order to secure a seat.
Endoscopic Neurosurgery is a specialized branch of Neurosurgery with as few as 4-5 surgeons being trained in both Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. As opposed to open surgery, endoscopic neurosurgery is minimally invasive and provides better results when applied to the correct patient. High definition imaging allows better visualization of deeper operative cavities and allows surgeons to pinpoint tumor locations. Endoscopic neurosurgery can be applied to various brain pathologies, spine pathologies and particularly skull base pathologies. Endoscopic neurosurgery has a steep learning curve and requires a lot of dedication and many years of training.
The most important skill required for Endoscopic Neurosurgery is hand-eye coordination. In order to sharpen my skills required for this, He has attended a number of cadaveric workshops and performed a number of cadaveric dissections. The workshops were mostly conducted by surgeons of International repute belonging to many different countries and these surgeons are pioneers in developing Endoscopic Neurosurgery.
With his extensive experience he has authored quite a few articles in journals of National and International repute; when it comes to treating my patients, he strongly adhere to the great principles of love, care and compassion. He believes in taking forward all his colleagues together as a team to achieve the best results in Neurosurgery. Every patient is dealt with utmost love and compassion and with an obligation to cure, nourish and alleviate suffering.
Starting from Nov 2010 to May 2011 he was working as Consultant Neuro and Spine surgeon. From Jun 2011 - April 2012 he worked as Assistant Professor at Adesh Institute of Medical Science's and Research, Bathinda, Punjab. He has joined as Lecturer at Nizam's Institute of Medical Science's, Hyderabad and worked there from April 2012 to Sep 2012, later continued there are Assistant Professor from Sep 2012 to March 2016. Starting from March 2016 till today, he works as Consultant Neuro Surgeon and Spine Surgeon at Maxcure Hospitals, Secretariat.
PUBLICATIONS, CONFERENCES & POSTER PRESENTATIONS
Dr. Kalyan Bommakanti has published papers in different medical journals.
- Bommakanti K, Alugolu R, Chittem LR, Patil M, Purohit AK.F ulminant holocord intramedullary tubercular abscess with enigmatic presentation. Surg Neurol Int. 2013;4:32. doi:10.4103/2152-7806.109506.
- Bommakanti K, Ankathi P, Uma P, Malladi S, Laxmi V.C erebral abscess and calvarial osteomyelitis due to Burkholderia pseudomallei. Neurol India. 2010;58(5):801-802. doi:10.4103/0028-3886.72188.
- Mudumba V, Bommakanti K, Chittem L. Dorsal spine involvement in Takayasu arteritis. Neurol India. 63(4):616-7. doi:10.4103/0028-3886.162090.
- Bommakanti K, Somayajula S, Suvarna A, et al .Pre-operative and post-operative cognitive deficits in patients with supratentorial meningiomas. Clin Neurol Neurosurg.2016;143:150-8. doi:10.1016/j.clineuro.2016.02.033.
- Bommakanti K, Panigrahi M, Yarlagadda R, Sundaram C, Uppin MS, Purohit AKO. ptic chiasmatic-hypothalamic gliomas: is tissue diagnosis essential? Neurol India. 2010;58(6):833-840.doi:10.4103/0028-3886.73738.
- Bommakanti K, Gaddamanugu P, Alladi S, et al.P re-operative and post-operative psychiatric manifestations in patients with supratentorial meningiomas. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2016;147:24-29. doi:10.1016/j.clineuro. 2016.05.018.
- Chittem L, Bommanakanti K, Alugolu R. “Precipitation sign”: a new radiological sign for spinal intramedullary tubercular abscess. Spinal Cord. 2014;52 Suppl 1:S1-2. doi:10.1038/sc.2014.31.
International publications include
- Outcomes of management of Odontoid fractures. Chinese journal of Neurosurgery.
- Surgical nuances of management of Azygous A-Com aneurysms.I nternational organization of scientific research.
Paper presentations include,
- Pre-operative and post-operative cognitive deficits and psychiatric manifestations in patients with supratentorial meningiomas. Submitted as thesis for the award of M.Ch to the Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences and presented as a paper in AP NEUROCON 2010, Warangal.
- Optic-Chiasmatic Hypothalamic gliomas: Is tissue diagnosis essential? Original article. Presented as a paper in AP NEUROCON 2009, Rajahmundry and 11th Annual Conference of Skull Base Surgery Society of India, Hyderabad-2010.
- Deep Brain Stimulation for Idiopathic Parkinsons disease: NIMS experience of 23 cases.P resented as a paper at and AP NEUROCON-2007, Kurnool and 9th Annual Conference on Stereotaxy, Functional Neurosurgery, Course on Radio Surgery and Hands on Workshop on Neuronavigation, Hyderabad-2006.
- Intracranial Ependymomas: NIMS experience of 41 cases. Presented as a paper in 55TH Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India, Madurai-2006.
- Surgical management of gliomas on eloquent cortex: Nuances. Presented at glioma update, Nizam’s Institute of medical sciences, Hyderabad, 2015.
- Hydrocephalus : Current trends. Presented at 65th Annual conference of Neurosurgical Society of India, Hyderabad, 2015.
- Role of cadaveric dissection in shortening the learning curve for trans-nasal endoscopic pituitary surgeries. 9th International conference on Endoscopic Endonasal Skull Base Surgery, Madurai-2014.
- Glasgow Coma Scale- Common errors, CNN-CME for neuro nurses, Hyderabad-2015.
- Nursing care for patients with aneurysms and AVM’s, CNN-CME for neuro nurses, Hyderabad-2015.
CME’s as Faculty
- Glasgow Coma Scale- Comon errors. CNN-CME for neuro nurses, Hyderabad-2015.
- Nursing care for patients with aneurysms and AVM’s. CNN-CME for neuro nurses, Hyderabad- 2015.
- Nuances in the management of C1-C2 fractures. Annual conference of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh Neuroscientitsts Association, APNSA, Guntur- 2013.
- Zig-Zag fusion for C1-C2 fractures. Neurotrauma, Dehradun-2014.
- Lhermitte-Duclos-Disease as a cranial manifestation of Cowden syndrome- A case report, Annual conference of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh neuroscientists assosciation, APNSA, Guntur-2013.
- Surgical outcome of intramedullary lesions. Annual conference of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh neuroscientists Association, APNSA, Hyderabad-2015.
- Ossification of posterior longitudinal ligament and fluorosis. Annual conference of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh Neuroscientists Association, APNSA, Hyderabad-2015.
- B-Cell lymphoma mimicking intracranial meningioma. Annual conference of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh neuroscientists Association, APNSA, Hyderabad-2015.
- Acinetobacter Meningitis- Changing trends. Annual conference of Neurosurgical Society of India, Hyderabad, 2015.
- Lhermitte Duclos disease: A series of 5 cases. 65th Annual conference of Neurosurgical Society of India, Hyderabad, 2015.
- Conus Hematomyleia: A rare complication of Coagulopathy. 65th Annual conference of Neurosurgical Society of India, Hyderabad, 2015.
- Inflammed Interhemispheric Arachnoid cyst. 65th Annual conference of Neurosurgical Society of India, Hyderabad, 2015
CMEs & WORKSHOPS ATTENDED
- Current Reviews in Brain & Spine Surgery, Hyderabad-2010.
- Surgical Procedure for the Implantation of INS 400, New Delhi-2007.
- IACP CON- 2006, First Annual Conference of Indian Academy of Cerebral Palsy, Hyderabad.
- Annual conference of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh neuroscientists association, APNSA, 2007, Kurnool.
- Annual conference of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh neuroscientists association, 2009, Rajahmundry.
- Annual conference of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh neuroscientists association, APNSA, 2010, Warangal.
- 10th Microneurosurgery Workshop, Chennai-2006.
- 9th Annual Conference on Stereotaxy, Functional Neurosurgery, Course on Radio Surgery and Hands on Workshop on Neuronavigation, Hyderabad-2006.
- International Conference on Medical Education and Technology, Hyderabad-2002.
- Current Concepts in Spine Surgery, Hyderabad-2009.
- C.E.R CI 2008 ( CANcer Care Education & Research Conference Internationale ), Hyderabad.
- 11th Annual Conference of Skull Base Surgery Society of India, Hyderabad-2010.
- 55TH Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India, Madurai-2006.
- Advanced Asian-Australasian Course in Paediatric Neurosurgery, Banglore-2009.
- Cadaveric workshop and short endoscopic neurosurgical trainning fellowship, Jabalpur-2011.
- Endoscopic Endonasal Base of Skull Surgery and Sialendoscopy, Trichy-2012.
- Endoscopic Endonasal Base of Skull Surgery and Sialendoscopy, Jaipur-2013.
- Endoscopic Endonasal Base of Skull Surgery and Sialendoscopy, Madurai-2014.
- 9th International conference on Endoscopic Endonasal Skull Base Surgery, Madurai- 2013.
- Live Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery Workshop, Mumbai-2013.
- 1st National Conference of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeons of India, Ahmedabad-2014.
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Conference, Pune-2015.
- Glioma Update, NIMS, Hyderabad- 2014.
- OTO-2014: Hands on Temporal Bone Dissection and Live Ear Surgery Workshop, Hyderabad-2014.
- Transnasal Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery Workshop, Mumbai-2015.
- CNN- CME for Neuro-Nurses, Hyderabad-2015.
- International Conference of Indian Academy of Cerebral Palsy, Hyderabad- 2014.
- TAKA Microneurosurgery Workshop, Mumbai-2014.
- CAN.C.E.R CI 2015 (Cancer Care Education & Research Conference Internationale), Hyderabad.
- APNSICON 2015, Hyderabad.
- NSICON 2015, Hyderabad.
- Academy of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (ACMISST ), Goa- 2015.
- Live surgery workshop on Transforaminal Approach, Hyderabad, 2015.
- Cadaveric workshop on minimally invasive spine techniques, Bangalore, 2015.
- IInd prize in Table Tennis in graduation.
- IInd rank in Science Talent Search Examination-1997 (Dr. A S Rao Awards Council).
- VIth rank in Science Talent Search Examination-1998 (Dr. A S Rao Awards Council).
- VIth rank in National Science (medical) Olympiad-1998.
- IInd prize in Caption Writing (English) in Graduation.
- Gold Medal and Certificate of Merit in the subject microbiology in Osmania Medical College for the year 2001.
- Best outgoing student from the department of Neurosurgery, NIMS, 2010.