Dr Surya Prakash Rao Voleti
M.S, DNB (Ortho)(BOM), AO Fellow (Germany) Fellow of Spinal Surgery (GICD, France) Active Fellow of Scoliosis Research Society
consultant Orthopedic and spine surgeon
About Dr. V Surya Prakash Rao
Dr Surya Prakash Rao Voleti (Orthopedic surgeon) who has specialized in SPINAL SURGERY and been working in this area for over 20 years. One of the few amongst the orthopedic fraternity in the state of AndhraPradesh & Telangana doing dedicated work in the field of spine, particularly in the management of spinal deformity. Skilled in the management of complicated and complex spinal surgery and has pioneered the management of congenital kyphoscoliosis. Also trained in the minimally invasive techniques in the management of the degenerative and traumatic affections of spine .
From a meager 8-10 major spinal reconstructive procedures in 1999, we are now performing more than a 200 major spinal reconstructions per year. My work on posterior Hemivertebrectomy in management of neglected congenital SCOLIOSIS is well appreciated at the National and International orthopaedic forums. Dr. V Surya Prakash Rao is a faculty at Nizam’s Institute of medical sciences Dr. V Surya Prakash Rao was responsible for the training of 3 postgraduate residents per year .All the students who have passed out are into successful practice rendering state of the art orthopaedic services across India and abroad.
Dr. V Surya Prakash Rao currently practicing at Maxcure Hospitals, Hyderabad. Dr. V Surya Prakash Rao does here the state of the art spine surgery work.Book appointment
More information about DR.V.SURYA PRAKASH RAO
- Consultant Spine Surgeon, Spine centre, Maxcure Hospitals, Hyderabad - August 2015 Onwards
- Consultant Spine Surgeon, Spine centre, Kamineni hospitals , king koti Hyderabad - December 2009 –July 2015
- Consultant Spine Surgeon, Spine centre, Wockhardt hospitals ,Hyderabad - August 2007 to December 2009
- Associate Professor Department of Orthopedics,NIMS ,Hyderabad - Jan 2003 to July 2007
- Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedics,NIMS - Feb 2000-Jan 2003
- Senior Resident , Department of Orthpaedics ,NIMS - July 1997- Jan 2000
- Senior Registrar, Municipal hospitals ,Mumbai - July 1996-July 1997
- AO Fellowship, University of Freiburg, (Germany) Jan & Feb 2004
- GICD fellowship in Spine (France) June and July 2005
- SRS (Scoliosis research society ) Scholarship (U.S) September 2006
- M.S.Orthopaedics Seth GS Medical college and KEM Hospital, Mumbai 1993-1996
- DNB (Orthopaedics) (National Board of examinations, New Delhi 1997
- Dip (Orthopaedics) (College of Physicians and Surgeons,Mumbai) 1996
- MBBS Javaharalal institute of postgraduate medical research and education (JIPMER) Pondicherry 1987-1992
- Unusual neglected migrating Tibia Nail. Bombay Hospital Journal, Vol. 37, No. 4, 1995.
- Traumatic Transverse Fracture of Sacrum with cauda equina injury-A case report and review of literature, Vol. 44 (I) ,1998, Journal of postgraduate Medicine.
- Segmental fractures of Radius, Ulna & Humerus in the same Upper limb. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics , 105-6,Vol 34,No 2,April 2000.
- Two chapters written in the text book “Musculoskeletal system, Imaging & Management” published by NIMS in Aug 1998 *Paediatric injuries (Pages 103- 111 ) *Correction of deformities by Ilizarov method (Page 140 –151)
- Evaluation of results of surgical treatment of closed fractures of Patella. Indian journal of Orthopaedics , Vol. 38:no2,April 2004,pp 104-106
- Rao VS, Chandrasekhar P, Rao AL, Rao VB. Results of surgically treated displaced acetabular fractures among adults. Clin Proc NIMS 2008;17:2
- Results of surgically treated acetabular fractures among adults. Clin.Proc.NIMS ,17:2; April 2005(12-16)
- Posterior convex wedge resection in the management of advanced congenital scoliosis due to Hemivertebra. World Spine Journal.2006;1(2):15-19
- Contribution of chapter on 'cold abscess in tuberculosis spine' in ASSI text book "Spinal Infections and Trauma" chapter 20 ,Pages 195-200. 2010.
- Contribution of chapter in GS kulkarnis’s text book of Orthopedics and trauma – idiopathic scoliosis 2015 edtion—in print
- Evaluation of pulmonary function in adolescent idiopathic thoracic scoliosis. Dr. Y Bhanu Rekha and Dr. V Surya Prakash Rao. International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences 2017; 3(2): 665-670 ISSN: 2395-1958 IJOS 2017; 3(2)
- Effect of flexibility and implant density on curve correction in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis-Dr. V Surya Prakash Rao and Dr. Jakkepally Sridhar. International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences 2017; 3(3): 746-750. ISSN: 2395-1958 IJOS 2017; 3(3): 746-750
- Study of Post-operative Pulmonary Function in Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Scoliosis. Bhanu Rekha Yarlagadda ,Surya Prakash Rao Voleti . IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) e-ISSN: 2279-0853, p-ISSN: 2279-0861.Volume 16, Issue 8 Ver. X (Aug. 2017), PP 42-45
- Active fellow of the SRS (scoliosis research society)
- Very early members of AO spine India and Now a National Faculty at AO Spine
- Indian Orthopedic association (IOA)
- AP Chapter and Telangana chapters of Indian Orthopedic association
- Orthopedic Association of south Indian states (OASIS)
- Bombay Orthopedic society (BOS)
- Twin cities Orthopedic society (past executive member)
- Twin cites spine society of Hyderabad (Secretary)
- Association of spine surgeons of India (ASSI) (Executive member)
Papers presented and Lectures
- Peadiatric injuries” at Musculoskeletal radiology imaging and management at August 1998 at NIMS .
- ‘Deformity correction using Ilizarov fixator system” at CME on Musculoskeletal radiology imaging and management at August 1998 at NIMS .
- Management of Neglected contractures of Lower limb using Ilizarov external fixator at the state chapter of IOA at Vishakapatnam in October 2000
- 'Use of Multi-hook segmental instrumentation in the management of idiopathic Scoliosis - a preliminary report' at the state chapter of IOA at Warangal in October 2001,and OASISCON July 2002
- ‘Management of Neglected contractures of Lower limb using Ilizarov external fixator -2 years follow-up’ at the OASISCON ,Hyderabad July 2002
- ‘Correction of spinal deformities using various instrumentation techniques’ the state chapter of IOA at Kakinada, December 2002
- ‘Thoracolumbar injuries and their management ‘ at the CME program conducted on Spinal cord injures and their management at NIMS (March 8 2003)
- ‘Role of instrumentation in the management of congenital scoliosis’ state chapter of IOA at Hyderabad September 2003
- 'Use of Multihook segmental instrumentation in Idiopathic scoliosis - 2 years follow up' presented at IOA conference Chennai in December 2003
- "Role of Thoracoplasty in the management of thoracic scoliosis"-presented at A.P State chapter of IOA conference at Vijayawada,October 2004
- 'Convex thoracoplasty in the management of thoracic scoliosis ' presented at WIROC (Western India regional orthopedic conference at Mumbai November 2004
- “Segmental instrumentation and fusion in the management of advanced congenital scoliosis” has been presented in the free paper session of ASSI (Association of spine surgeons of India) annual conference held at Banglore on 23.01.2005.
- Thoracoplasty in the management of scoliosis at IGOF (Indo German Orthopaedic foundation conference) at Vishakapatnam March 2005
- Presented a paper “Management of Early onset scoliosis -Literature review at the Annual combined instructional course lectures of ASSI and Spine Society of Europe held in Mumbai in August 2005
- ‘Posterior Hemivertebrectomy’- an innovative technique in the management of advanced congenital scoliosis due to hemivertebra- at the state chapter of the state conference of APIOACon in October 2005
- ‘Posterior convex wedge resection in the management of Advanced congenital scoliosis” at IGOF meetings at Hyderabad and Chennai at November05 and March 06 respectively
- Presented an e-poster on ‘Posteror only approach in the management of congenital scoliosis” at IMAST (International meeting on advances spinal techniques)at Athens, Greece in July 2006
- Presented a paper “One stage posterior hemivertebrectomy in the management of congenital scoliosis due to hemivertebra’ in Young Surgeons Forum at the Annual combined instructional course lectures of ASSI and Spine Society of Europe held in Hyderabad on 4th,5th and 6th of August 2006.
- Presented a paper ‘Pedicle subtraction osteotomy in fixed kyphotic deformities of spine’ at AP State conference and OASIS Conference at Tirupati in September 2006
- Participated in a debate at the AO Spine Monsoon seminar on September 24 ,2006 at Hyderabad with Dr Paul Verga (AO faculty from Australia) on discectomy alone as a option of Treatment in a young Manual worker with large disc prolapse.
- Attended the conference on spinal deformties at Jabalpur in December 2007 and gave a lecture on the ‘management of congenital scoliosis’ as a part of ‘Operation Straight spine’
- Attended the ASSICON and the combined instructional course lectures with International society of Lumbar spine conducted at Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore 17-20 Jan 2008 as a faculty and delivered a lecture on ‘Insitu fusions to spinal osteotomies in the management of spinal deformities – a personal odyssey’
- Given a guest lecture at ISSICON-2008 at Delhi about the ‘Recent advances in the management of the early onset scoliosis’ in March 2008
- Attended the Regional course of the SRS and Presented a poster on the ‘Posterior convex vertebral resection in the management of the advanced congenital scoliosis’ in October 2008
- Delivered guest lectures at the annual conference of the OSSAP (orthopedic surgeons society of Andhrapradesh) 2009 held at Karminagar on following two topics (1) Management of neglected spinal deformities (2) Complications of spine surgery
- Delivered a lecture on the management of Neglected thoracolumbar injuries at the OSSAP -2010 at Gandhi hospital in October 2010.
- Delivered alecture at the CME at ASSICON 2011 on "Planning deformity correction in Kyphotic deformity in Ankylosing spondylits "
- Delivered at lecture at Dr Satyanarayana Murthy Memorial CME at Warangal in April 2011 'What are the dos and donts while managing lumbar disc prolapse
- Delivered a lecture at OASIS conference at Hyderabad "Current concepts in the management of lumbar disc prolapse" in August 2011
- National faculty at AO Spine principles course at Chennai in July 2011 and delivered three lectures
- Implant biomechanics
- Basics of kyphosis
- Management of thoracolumbar injuries
- techniques and presentation on cervical laminoplasty
- National faculty at Association of Spine surgeons of India at the conference at Delhi, Feb 2012 and chaired a session on 'post operative infections in spine'.
- Presentation- "Instrumentation in Degenerative spinal conditions "-Lecture given at Chennai Spine club in April 2012
- presented lectures at pre and post conference workshops on IOACON 2012-December in Chennai
- Lenke's classification in the management of idiopathic scoliosis
- Management of Neuromuscular scoliosis
- Guest lecture on ' biopsy in malignant spine tumors' given at ASSICON -2013 at KOCHI in January 2013
- Presented a series of case discussions at ICS 2013 at Kodaikanal in August 2013 on 'Cervical Spondylotic meylopathy'
- Lecture on Lumbar degenerative spine 'Techniques of Lumbar interbody fusion' at Symosium cum cadaver workshop conducted by IASA in Banglore in September 2013.
- November 11,2013 gave a lecture on Recent advances in spine surgery conducted at Continental Hospitals, Hyderabad on "Degenerative scoliosis- assessment and Management"
- Chaired a session on Congental scoliosis-Neuro logical problems in ASSICON-2014 in January 23_2014
- Delivered 2 invited lectures and presented one video the video session at the spine session at IOACON 2014 at Hyderabad
- - Cervical spine trauma classification and its role in management
- Imaging in Thoracolumbar fractures – Role of CT and MRI
- Video on surgical correction of spinal deformity in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Delivered a lecture on clinical examination of spine at the PG teaching session at IOACON, November 2014 in Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences.
- Delivered a lecture on recent advances in early onset scoliosis at ASSICON pune Jan 2015
- Moderated a session on early onset scoliosis and participated as faculty at e Course lectures conucted by Association of spine surgeons of India in , Vishakapatnam August 2015
- Participated on a faculty at the ASSICON GOA in November 2015
- Presented my work on lumbar degenerative spine and conducted workshop on pedicle screw instrumentation systems at inaguaral conference of inaugural TOSACON (telangana Orthopedics surgeons Association annual conference ) at Taj Krishan Hyderabad Februray 2016
- Participated as a faculty at Spine WEEK at Singapore and delivered at talk on Growth rods vs Vepter in the management of pediatric congenital deformities in May 2016
- Participated as a faculty and delivered a guest lecture at OASISCON 2016 at NRI Medical college, Guntur.
- Participated as a faculty and delivered a guest lecture at OSSAPCON 2017 at Nellore
- Faculty at Telangana orthopedic association Ortho conference in March 2017
- National faculty at AO Advanced course on scoliosis JULY 2017 at Chennai
- Instructional course lectures at Kovalam,Trivandrum , August 2017
- AO National Faculty at Principles course at Hyderabad, September 2017
Awards & Honors
- Distinctions in Biochemistry, Anatomy and Pathology examinations at JIPMER Medical college
- Secured First Prize in Radiology examination for the year 1992 at JIPMER Medical college
- College Round Winner of Indian Association of Pediatrics (IAP) Quiz Competition for the year 1992 at JIPMER , Pondicherry.
- Recipient of P.G. Merit Scholarship from the University of Bombay.
- Secured highest marks and passed the Diploma of Orthopaedics examinations in April 1996 held by College of Physicians & Surgeons, Bombay
- Recipient of Wockhardt –spine fellowship from Bombay Orthopaedic Society for the year 2000.
- AO Fellowship at the Department of Orthopaedics and Truamatolgy University of Freiburg, Germany with Prof. N.Sudkamp.
- Recipient of ASSI-Depuy Spine Travelling fellowship for the year 2004 and visited various centers in Delhi and Mumbai in Jan –Feb 2005
- Recipient of GICD – Spine fellowship and visited four centers in France in June –July 2005
- Awarded ‘ VYAGRESHWARUDU GOLD MEDAL’ for the best paper in the State chapter of IOACON in Guntur in October 2005
- Awarded Gold Medal For the best paper in the Surgical treatment of Spinal aliments as ISSICON at Delhi in March 2006
- Recipient of Global outreach educational scholarship for the year 2006 and attended the Scoliosis research society (SRS) 41st annual conference at Monterey, California.U.S.
- First orthopaedic surgeon in the state and amongst handful of few spinal surgeons in the country who are awarded the international fellowship of the Scoliosis research society (SRS) in 2007 and Active fellowship of the society in 2013.
- Received 'Vaidya shiromini Award ' from Prof Kakarla subba Rao on 30-6-2013 instituted by Megacity Navakala vedika, Hyderabad