We all at one time or another will get a stomach pain. We usually ignore it and start taking home medicines, it is always advisable to consult a doctor and discuss the problem so as to prevent any further health issues.
Let us understand the common causes of Stomach pain for children, women and men
Common stomach pain causes for Children
A child is most likely to have stomach pain which is not life threatening. For example, your child may have:
- Food allergy or intolerance
- Heartburn or acid reflux
- Stomach flu or food poisoning
- Strep throat or mononucleosis (“mono”)
- Air swallowing
- Abdominal migraine
- Pain caused by anxiety or depression
Your child may have something more serious if the pain does not get better in 24 hours, gets worse or gets more frequent. Stomach pain can be a sign of:
- Stomach ulcer
- Hernia or other bowel twisting, blockage or obstruction
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis)
- Intussusceptions, caused by part of the intestine being pulled inward into itself
- Sickle cell disease crisis
- Stomach ulcer
- Torsion (twisting) of the testicle
- Torsion (twisting) of the ovary
- Tumor or cancer
- Urinary tract infection
Common stomach pain causes for Men/Women
If you have got a mild stomachache, sharp pain, or cramps, stomach pain can have many causes.
The major causes can be indigestion, constipation, a stomach virus, or, if you’re a woman, menstrual cramps.
Other possible causes include:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Crohn’s disease
- Food poisoning
- Food allergies
You may also get abdominal pain if you’re lactose intolerant or have ulcers or pelvic inflammatory disease. Some other causes include:
- Kidney stones
- Gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD)
When Should You Contact Your Doctor?
If your stomach pain is severe and doesn’t go away, or keeps coming back.